Dr. Ricardo A. Lebensohn
Scientist and Team Leader, Materials Science and Technology Division, Los Alamos National Laboratory
Address: MST8, MS G755, Los Alamos, NM, 87545, USA
Phone #: +1-505-665-3035
Fax #: +1-505-667-8021
ResearcherID (papers, citations, h-index):
1989: Licenciado en Fisica, Faculty of Science and Engineering (FCEIA), Universidad Nacional de Rosario (UNR), Argentina.
1993: PhD in Physics, FCEIA, UNR, Rosario, Argentina.
2016: Otto Moensted Visiting Professorship at the Danish Technical University (DTU), Otto Moensted Foundation, Denmark.
2011: Defense Programs Award of Excellence, National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA), USA, as part of the Process Engineering and Design for Improved Component Testing (PREDICT) team, "in recognition of significant achievements in quality, productivity, cost savings, safety, or creativity in support of NNSA's programs".
2010: Humboldt Research Award for Senior US Scientists, Humboldt Foundation, Germany, "in recognition of a researcher's entire achievements to date to academics whose fundamental discoveries, new theories, or insights have had a significant impact on their own discipline".
1997: Fulbright Scholarship. Department of Geology and Geophysics, University of California, Berkeley, USA.
Mechanics of Materials. Computational Mechanics. Solid Mechanics. Micromechanics. Polycrystal Plasticity. Dilatational Plasticity. Strain-gradient Plasticity. Homogenization. Spectral Methods. Multiscale Material Modelling. Texture, Anisotropy, Microstructure and Damage Evolution of Metals, Minerals and Polymers. X-Ray Diffraction. High Energy Diffraction Microscopy. Neutron Diffraction. Residual Stresses. Finite Element Analysis. Metal Forming. Dynamic Properties of Materials.
VPSC (ViscoPlastic Self-Consistent) Code
The code VPSC code (developed and maintained by R.A. Lebensohn and C.N Tome) is a multipurpose polycrystal plasticity research code, based on the knowledge of the mechanisms of slip and twinning that are active in single crystals of arbitrary symmetry. VPSC can be used to predict the effective stress-strain response, texture evolution, anisotropy, etc., and it is presently used as a predictive tool for metallic and geological material systems, for parameter identification, interpretation of experimental results and multiscale calculations, in academic and industrial applications, etc., by numerous research groups worldwide (Presently, the VPSC code distribution list has more than 120 registered users in Academia, National Laboratories and Industry).
Contact us, if you are interested in the VPSC formulation and code ...
Full-field FFT-based Formulation
This formulation (originally developed by P. Suquet and coworkers as a fast algorithm to compute the linear and nonlinear response of composites using as input a digital image of their microstructures) has been adapted by us to treat 3-D polycrystals deforming by dislocation glide. The FFT-based model provides an exact solution of the governing equations, has better performance than a Finite Element calculation for the same purpose and resolution, and can use voxelized microstructure data as direct input.
Contact us, if you are interested in the FFT-based formulation ...
1. R.A. Lebensohn and C.N. Tome: "A selfconsistent approach for the simulation of plastic deformation and texture development of polycrystals: application to Zirconium alloys". Acta Metallurgica et Materialia 41, pp 2611-2624 (1993). 999 citations in Web of Science/ResearcherID. (PDF)
2. C.N. Tome, R.A. Lebensohn and U.F. Kocks: "A model for texture development dominated by deformation twinning: application to Zirconium alloys". Acta Metallurgica et Materialia 39, pp 2667-2680 (1991). 288 citations. (PDF)
3. R.A. Lebensohn: "N-site modelling of a 3D viscoplastic polycrystal using Fast Fourier Transform". Acta Materialia 49, pp 2723-2737 (2001). 173 citations. (PDF)
4. C.N. Tome, P.J. Maudlin, R.A. Lebensohn and G.C. Kaschner: "Mechanical response of zirconium. Part I: Derivation of a polycrystal constitutive law and finite element analysis". Acta Materialia 49, pp 3085-3096 (2001). 152 citations. (PDF)
5. R.A Lebensohn and C. Tome: A self-consistent visco-plastic model: calculation of rolling textures of anisotropic materials". Material Science and Engineering A 175, pp 71-82 (1994). 131 citations. (PDF)
6. I.J. Beyerlein, R.A. Lebensohn and C.N. Tome: Modeling of texture and microstructural evolution in the equal channel angular process". Materials Science and Engineering A345, pp.122-138 (2003). 129 citations. (PDF)
7. R.A. Lebensohn, C.N. Tome and P. Ponte Castaneda: "Self-consistent modeling of the mechanical behavior of viscoplastic polycrystals incorporating intragranular field fluctuations". Philosophical Magazine 87, pp. 4287-4322 (2007). 117 citations. (PDF)
8. O. Castelnau, P. Duval, R.A. Lebensohn and G. Canova: "Viscoplastic modelling of texture development in polycrystalline ice with a self-consistent approach: comparison with bound estimates". Journal of Geophysical Research B 101, pp 13851-13868 (1996). 88 citations. (PDF)
9. R.A. Lebensohn R. Brenner, O. Castelnau and A.D. Rollett: "Orientation image-based micromechanical modelling of subgrain texture evolution in polycrystalline copper". Acta Materialia 56, pp. 3914-3926 (2008). 80 citations. (PDF)
10. M.E Nixon, O. Cazacu and R.A. Lebensohn: "Anisotropic response of high-purity alpha-titanium. Experimental characterization and constitutive modelling". International Journal of Plasticity 26, pp. 516-532 (2010). 80 citations. (PDF)
11. R.A Lebensohn, A.K. Kanjarla and P. Eisenlohr: "An elasto-viscoplastic formulation based on fast Fourier transforms for the prediction of micromechanical fields in polycrystalline materials". International Journal of Plasticity 32-33, pp. 59-69 (2012). 78 citations. (PDF)
12. B. Plunkett, R. A. Lebensohn, O. Cazacu and F. Barlat: "Evolving yield function of hexagonal materials taking into account texture development and anisotropic hardening". Acta Materialia 54, pp. 4159-4169 (2006). 75 citations. (PDF)
13. R.A. Lebensohn, Y. Liu and P. Ponte Castaneda: "On the accuracy of the self-consistent approximation for polycrystals: comparison with full-field numerical simulations". Acta Materialia 52, pp. 5347-5361 (2004). 73 citations. (PDF)
14. R.A. Lebensohn and G.R. Canova: A selfconsistent approach for modelling texture development of two-phase polycrystals: application to Titanium alloys". Acta Materialia 45, pp 3687-3694 (1997). 72 citations. (PDF)
15. J. Segurado, R.A. Lebensohn, J. LLorca and C.N. Tome: "Multiscale modeling of plasticity based on embedding the viscoplastic self-consistent formulation in implicit finite elements". International Journal of Plasticity 28, pp. 124-140 (2012). 66 citations. (PDF)
16. C.N. Tome, R.A. Lebensohn and C.T Necker: "Orientation correlations and anisotropy of recrystallized aluminium". Metallurgical and Materials Transactions 33A, pp 2635,2648 (2002). 62 citations. (PDF)
17. R.A. Lebensohn and C.N. Tome: "A study of stress state associated with twinning nucleation and propagation in anisotropic materials. Philosophical Magazine A 67, pp 187-206 (1993). 58 citations. (PDF)
18. P. Eisenlohr, M. Diehl, R.A. Lebensohn and F. Roters: "A spectral method solution to crystal elasto-viscoplasticity at finite strains". International Journal of Plasticity 46, pp. 37-53 (2013). 56 citations, highly cited paper in Essential Science Indicators (ESI). (PDF)
19. M. Knezevic, R.A. Lebensohn, O. Cazacu, B. Revil-Baudard, G. Proust, S. Vogel and M.E. Nixon: "Modeling bending of alpha-titanium with embedded polycrystal plasticity in implicit finite elements". Materials Science and Engineering A 564, pp. 116-126 (2013). 53 citations. (PDF)
20. M. Knezevic, R.J. McCabe, C.N. Tome, R.A. Lebensohn, S.R. Chen, C.M. Cady, G.T. Gray III and B. Mihaila: "Modeling mechanical response and texture evolution of alpha-uranium as a function of strain rate and temperature using polycrystal plasticity". International Journal of Plasticity 43, pp. 70-84 (2013). 51 citations, highly cited paper in ESI. (PDF)
21. M. Knezevic, R.J. McCabe, R.A. Lebensohn, C.N. Tome, C. Liu and B. Mihaila: "Integration of self-consistent polycrystal plasticity with dislocation density based hardening laws within an implicit finite element framework: application to low-symmetry metals". Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids 61, pp. 2034-2046 (2013). 49 citations, highly cited paper in ESI. (PDF)
22. O. Castelnau, H. Francillette, B. Bacroix and R.A. Lebensohn: "Texture dependent plastic behavior of Zr-702 at large strain". Journal of Nuclear Materials 297, pp 14-26 (2001). 46 citations. (PDF)
23. J.P. Escobedo, E.K. Cerreta, D. Dennis-Koller, B.M. Patterson, C. Bronkhorst, B. Hansen, D. Tonks and R.A. Lebensohn: "Effects of grain size and boundary structure on the dynamic tensile response of copper". Journal of Applied Physics 110, 033513 (2011). 41 citations. (PDF)
24. M. Knezevic, L. Capolungo, C.N. Tome, R.A. Lebensohn, D.J. Alexander and B. Mihaila, R.J. McCabe: "Anisotropic stress-strain response and microstructure evolution of textured alpha-uranium". Acta Materialia 60, pp. 702-715 (2012). 41 citations. (PDF)
25. R.A Lebensohn, H.-R. Wenk and C.N. Tome: "Modelling deformation and recrystallization textures in calcite". Acta Materialia 46, pp 2683-2693 (1998). 40 citations. (PDF)
26. R.A. Lebensohn, Y. Liu and P. Ponte Castaneda: "Macroscopic properties and field fluctuations in model power-law polycrystals: full-field solutions versus self-consistent estimates". Proceedings of the Royal Society of London A 460, pp. 1381-1405 (2004). 39 citations. (PDF)
27. D. Hughes, R.A. Lebensohn, H.-R. Wenk and A. Kumar: "Stacking fault energy and microstructure effect on torsion texture evolution". Proceedings of the Royal Society of London A 456, pp 921-954 (2000). 38 citations. (PDF)
28. R. Brenner, R.A. Lebensohn and O. Castelnau: "Elastic anisotropy and yield surface estimates of polycrystals". International Journal of Solids and Structures 46, pp. 3018-3026 (2009). 37 citations. (PDF)
29. T. Takeshita, H.-R. Wenk and R. Lebensohn: "Development of preferred orientation and microstructure in sheared quartzite: comparison of natural data and simulated results". Tectonophysics 312, pp. 133-155 (1999). 36 citations. (PDF)
30. R.A. Lebensohn, M. Montagnat, P. Mansuy, P. Duval, J. Meysonnier and A. Philip: "Modeling viscoplastic behavior and heterogenous intracrystalline deformation of columnar ice polycrystals". Acta Materialia, 57, pp. 1405-1415 (2009). 34 citations. (PDF)
31. O. Castelnau, G.R. Canova, R.A. Lebensohn and P. Duval: "Modelling viscoplastic behavior of anisotropic polycrystalline ice with a selfconsistent approach". Acta Materialia 45, pp 4828-4834 (1997). 34 citations. (PDF)
32. A. Prakash and R.A. Lebensohn: "Simulation of micromechanical behavior of polycrystals: finite elements vs. fast Fourier transforms". Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering 17, 064010 (16pp) (2009). (PDF)
33. R.A. Lebensohn, O. Castelnau, R. Brenner and P. Gilormini: "Study of the antiplane deformation of linear 2-D polycrystals with different microstructures". International Journal of Solids and Structures 42, pp. 5441-5459 (2005). 33 citations. (PDF)
34. H.-R. Wenk, J.R. Baumgardner, R.A. Lebensohn and C.N. Tome: "A convection model to explain anisotropy of the inner core". Journal of Geophysical Research B 105, pp 5663-5673 (2000). 33 citations. (PDF)
35. R.A. Lebensohn, P.A. Turner, J.W. Signorelli, G.R. Canova and C.N. Tome: "Calculation of intergranular stresses based on a large strain viscoplastic selfconsistent polycyrstal model". Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering 6, pp 447-465 (1998). 33 citations. (PDF)
36. S.B. Lee, R.A. Lebensohn and A.D. Rollett: "Modeling the viscoplastic micromechanical response of two-phase materials using fast Fourier transforms". International Journal of Plasticity 27, pp. 707-727 (2011). 33 citations. (PDF)
Recent Articles (2015-2016)
112. R.A. Lebensohn and A. Needleman: "Numerical implementation of non-local polycrystal plasticity using Fast Fourier Transforms". Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, in press. DOI: 10.1016/j.jmps.2016.03.023 (PDF)
111. P. Kaercher, L. Miyagi, W. Kanitpanyacharoen, E. Zepeda-Alarcon, Y. Wang, D. Parkinson, R.A. Lebensohn, F. De Carlo and H.R. Wenk: "Two-phase deformation of lower mantle mineral analogs". Earth and Planetary Science Letters 456, pp. 134-145 (2016). (PDF)
110. M.V. Upadhyay, S. Van Petegem, T. Panzner, R.A. Lebensohn and H. Van Swygenhoven: "Study of lattice strain evolution during biaxial deformation of stainless steel using a finite element and fast Fourier transform based multiscale approach". Acta Materialia 118, pp. 28-43 (2016). (PDF)
109. M.-G. Llorens, A. Griera, P.D. Bons, R.A. Lebensohn, L. Evans, D. Jensen and I. Weikusat: "Full-field predictions of ice dynamic recrystallisation under simple shear conditions". Earth and Planetary Science Letters 450, pp. 233-242 (2016). (PDF)
108. E. Lieberman, R.A. Lebensohn, D.B. Menasche, C.A. Bronkhorst and A.D. Rollett: "Microstructural effects on damage evolution in shocked copper polycrystals". Acta Materialia 116, pp. 270-280 (2016). (PDF)
107. M.V. Upadhyay, L. Capolungo, V. Taupin, C. Fressengeas and R.A. Lebensohn: "A higher order elasto-viscoplastic model using fast Fourier transforms: effects of lattice curvatures on mechanical response of nanocrystalline metals". International Journal of Plasticity 83, pp. 126-152 (2016). (PDF)
106. M. Knezevic, M. Zecevic, I.J. Beyerlein and R.A. Lebensohn: "A numerical procedure enabling accurate descriptions of strain rate-sensitive flow of polycrystals within crystal visco-plasticity theory". Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 308, pp. 468-482 (2016). (PDF)
105. M.-G. Llorens, A. Griera, P.D. Bons, J. Roessiger, R. Lebensohn, L. Evans and I. Weikusat: "Dynamic recrystallization of ice aggregates during co-axial viscoplastic deformation: a numerical approach". Journal of Glaciology 62, pp. 359-377 (2016). (PDF)
104. B.M. Morrow, R.A Lebensohn, D.T. Martinez, C.P. Trujillo, F.L. Addessio, C.A. Bronkhorst, T. Lookman and E.K. Cerreta: "Characterization and modelling of mechanical behavior of single crystal titanium deformed by split Hopkinson pressure bar", International Journal of Plasticity 82, pp. 225-240 (2016). (PDF)
103. G. Stevens, S. Atamturktur, R.A. Lebensohn and G. Kaschner: "Experiment-based validation and uncertainty quantification of coupled multi-scale plasticity models". Multidiscipline Modeling in Materials and Structures 12, pp. 151-176 (2016). (PDF)
102. A.W. Mello, A. Nicolas, R.A. Lebensohn and M.D. Sangid: "Microstructure based strain localization within a 7050 Aluminum alloy: comparison of experiments and modeling in various textures". Materials Science and Engineering A 661, pp. 187-197 (2016). (PDF)
101. R.A. Lebensohn, M. Zecevic, M. Knezevic and R.J. McCabe: "Average intragranular misorientation trends in polycrystalline materials predicted by a viscoplastic self-consistent approach", Acta Materialia 104, pp. 228-236 (2016). (PDF)
100. T. Ozturk, C. Stein, R. Pokharel, C. Hefferan, H. Tucker, S. Jha, R. John, R.A. Lebensohn, P. Kenesei, R.M. Suter and A.D. Rollett: "Simulation domain size requirements for elastic response of 3-D polycrystalline materials". Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering 24, 015006 (13pp) (2016). (PDF)
99. C.W. Sinclair, G. Martin and R.A. Lebensohn: "Factors contributing to plastic strain amplification in slip-dominated deformation of magnesium alloys". Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering 23, 085002 (17pp) (2015). (PDF)
98. A. Rovinelli, R.A. Lebensohn and M.D. Sangid: "Influence of microstructure variability on short crack behavior through postulated micromechanical short crack driving force metrics". Engineering Fracture Mechanics 138, pp. 265-288 (2015). (PDF)
97. E. Lieberman, A.D. Rollett, R.A. Lebensohn and E.M. Kober: "Calculation of grain boundary normals directly from 3-D microstructure images". Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering 23, 035005 (18pp) (2015). (PDF)
96. S. Atamturktur, J. Hegenderfer, B. Williams, M. Egeberg, R.A. Lebensohn and C. Unal: "A resource allocation framework for experiment-based validation of numerical models". Mechanics of Advanced Materials and Structures 22, 641-654 (2015). (PDF)
95. A. Prakash, W. Nohring, R.A. Lebensohn, H.W. Hoppel and E. Bitzek: "Finite element simulation of the accumulative roll bonding process using an embedded texture model". Materials Science and Engineering A 631, pp. 104-119 (2015). (PDF)
94. N. Chandola, R.A. Lebensohn, B. Revil-Baudard, O. Cazacu, R.K. Mishra and F. Barlat: "Combined effects of anisotropy and tension-compression asymmetry on the torsional response of AZ31 Mg". International Journal of Solids and Structures 58, pp. 190-200 (2015). (PDF)
93. L. Chen, J. Chen, R.A. Lebensohn, Y.Z. Ji, T. W. Heo, S. Bhattacharyya, K. Chang, S. Mathaudhu, Z.K. Liu and L.Q. Chen: "An integrated fast Fourier transform-based phase-field and crystal plasticity approach to model recrystallization of three dimensional polycrystals". Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 285, pp. 829-848 (2015). (PDF)
92. M. Arul Kumar, A.K. Kanjarla, S. Niezgoda, R.A. Lebensohn and C.N. Tome: "Numerical study of the stress state of a deformation twin in magnesium", Acta Materialia 84, pp. 349-358 (2015). (PDF)
91. R. Pokharel, J. Lind, S.F. Li, P. Kenesei, R.A. Lebensohn, R.M. Suter and A.D. Rollett: "In-situ observation of bulk 3-D microstructure evolution of polycrystalline Cu using synchrotron radiation". International Journal of Plasticity 67, pp. 217-234 (2015). (PDF)
90. N.R. Barton, J.V. Bernier, R.A. Lebensohn and D.E. Boyce: "The use of discrete harmonics in direct multi-scale embedding of polycrystal plasticity". Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 283, 224-242 (2015). (PDF)
Recent Book Chapters:
R.A. Lebensohn: "Elastic and viscoplastic properties". Chapter 11 of: State-of-the-art Report of Techniques for Fuel Modelling. OECD/NEA Working Party on Multi-scale Modelling of Fuels and Structural Materials for Nuclear Systems (2015).
R.A. Lebensohn, P. Ponte Castaneda, R. Brenner and O. Castelnau: "Full-field vs. homogenization methods to predict microstructure-property relationships of polycrystalline materials". Chapter 11 of Computational Methods for Microstructure-Property Relationships. S Ghosh and D. Dimiduk (Eds.), Springer, pp. 393-441 (2011).
Recent and Upcoming Invited Lectures:
Recent and Upcoming Summer Schools:
Recent and Upcoming Symposia:
Last update: September 2016 - Disclaimers/Policy